First of all, the best gift for us is your presence in our wedding, even if it’s by video-presence. We understand that travelling to Mexico can be expensive both in money and effort, and we are also grateful for all the help we have received family and friends for organising the wedding. We don’t really expect anything beyond this.
However, by popular request, here’s a gift list in case you do want to give us a little something.
A few notes first. Remember that we are this international couple, and we are not going to stay for the rest of our lives in England. So any gifts we’ll get for the wedding we will have to take with us later on when we move. Stian is also very good at breaking things, so big glass statues might not be the thing.
In addition, as our wedding is in Mexico, some gifts would be a bit impractical to bring back and forth in suitcases for both for us and the guests.. so no microwave ovens, please! :-) If you are in Europe, and want to help us reduce our suitcase footprint, you could send the gift directly to our house in UK instead. (Contact us for the address!)
In many Norwegian weddings it is common to give vouchers (“gift cards”) from a certain store that the couple prefers. There are also some more general alternatives, such as VISA and MasterCard gift cards that can be used in any shop over the world, or the simple solution, a bank account transfer.
Many of the gift suggestions below can be found at John Lewis, but that does not mean your gift has to be from that shop! It just happens to be our closest department store, and served as an inspiration. In case you wish, we have created a John Lewis gift list with the items that can be found there, the gift list number is 296733. With this gift list it is possible to buy online (from what I can see it should work even with an international credit card), and it will be delivered to us free of charge after the wedding. It is also possible to buy vouchers of a value you define.
To avoid five people giving us that very same electric footbath, feel free to leave a comment on the bottom of the page when you have decided what your gift will be. You can use a fake name such as “Wedding gift” and firstname.lastname@example.org as email address to stay anonymous!
- Prepaid gift card, bank transfer or John Lewis voucher (this is not as bad as it often sounds, when we decide to use it to buy something, say for the house, we would think of it as a gift from you)
- OWL Wireless energy monitor (monitor’s energy usage for the whole house)
- Oregon wireless termometer
- Nice-looking “Old-style” DAB radio with batteries for picnics (we have an ugly “modern” one already!)
- Cool picnic stuff – rug, basket, the dinner ser, the gas stove… and so on, outdoor’s equipment
- Tefal cookware (frying pan, pots, but not wok)
- Good quality chef knives for the kitchen, brands such as Global-MAC, Masahiro or Global
Express cooker so that we can cook frijoles charros in truly Mexican styleBOUGHT
- Hard-cased hand luggage-sized suitcases – we suspect we will be using them quite a lot, such as Samsonite ot Antler
- Towels set or bed linen
- Cuttlery set
- Alarm clock – vintage and with real bell sound
Example of gifts we would preferably not get (mostly for practical reasons! However if you’ve bought one of these already, don’t worry!):
- Bread maker (We would probably love it, but then after a months time never use it again, while struggling to find a place to store it)
- Fondue set (even if it’s the 70′s wedding gift classic!)
- Fancy porcelain plates, etc. (again, we would love it, but it might break when travelling/moving)
- Anything big or heavy, unless it is a suitcase :-)
If you have bought a gift for us…
A thousand thanks!!! You can leave a comment below and write which gift you have purchased. We will update the list to reflect which gifts have already been purchased.
If you wish the gift to remain anonymous, use a fake name such as “Wedding Gift”, and fill in the fake email address email@example.com – the comment will arrive to our inbox, and may or may not be published, depending if it is anonymous or not.
Shown below is that someone has already bought us an pressure cooker, we are looking forward to the frijoles charros!: